Johnston Public Library offers notary services during most open hours.
- Call before your visit to ensure a notary is available.
- Bring a photo ID that includes a signature.
- Complete all documents EXCEPT for the signature and date fields. You MUST sign the document in front of the notary.
- Bring your own witnesses (who are not related to you) if the document requires witnesses in addition to the notary.
- Bring originals of documents or ID needing to be notarized. Notary Publics may notarize copies of passports, driver’s licenses, business documents, and diplomas but copies need to be made by the Notary Public here at the Johnston Public Library.
- According to Iowa Code, photocopies of public records such as birth certificates, death certificates, deeds and court records are not permitted to be notarized.
*Library staff are not attorneys licensed to practice law in this state; are not allowed to draft legal records, give advice on legal matters, including immigration, or charge a fee for those activities. (Disclaimer required by Iowa Code 2018, Section 9B.25)