The library’s planning process began in 2016 with two community focus groups: one with Johnston residents and one with Library staff. Attendees were asked to share aspirations they had for the Johnston community and how the Library might play a role in achieving them. With this input, the Library Board created a new mission statement and Library staff developed a number of practical objectives for the next several years.
We’re excited about the direction this plan points us in–where we continue to improve existing collections and services while developing new initiatives that help us better serve a growing and changing community. We are not done listening. The plan will continue to evolve as we learn more about our patrons, about the Johnston community, and about the world at large in the coming years. We hope you will join us on the journey.
Eric Melton, Library Director
Promoting discovery. Inspiring creativity. Engaging community.
Strategic Theme #1: Promoting Discovery
We believe that a healthy community depends on broad and equitable access to information and help finding and understanding that information.
The library will promote discovery by:
- Helping patrons overcome economic, educational, and other barriers to information by providing access to technology and learning opportunities
- Making staff expertise more accessible–particularly in the areas of early literacy, research, and reading
- Ensuring library collections, services, and spaces support the diverse interests and needs of our community
- Expanding and promoting outreach initiatives
Strategic Theme #2: Inspiring Creativity
We believe that learning and creating are complementary and that individuals thrive when they have ways to express themselves.
The library will inspire creativity by:
- Collecting and promoting foundational and practical resources in the sciences and humanities
- Providing access to creative tools and technology
- Offering opportunities for personal instruction
- Designing spaces and developing programs that encourage creative play
Strategic Theme #3: Engaging Community
We believe that citizens learning more about each other and the place they live strengthens the community and empowers individuals.
The library will engage community by:
- Seeking partnerships that benefit library patrons and the community at large
- Expanding and promoting the library’s local history collections
- Offering information about local organizations and services
- Providing opportunities for patrons to explore the history and culture of Johnston’s minority communities